Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Tahitian Terrace Treasure

In 1962 the Tahitian Terrace opened in Disneyland which was just adjacent to the Enchanted Tiki Room and along side the rivers of the Jungle Cruise in Adventureland.  


Below is an excellent video of the "After Dark" Disneyland show that features some of the performances from the Tahitian Terrace.




The seasonal Polynesian dinner and revue was very popular and almost always had huge lines.  They offered live music as well as an array of performers who offered a sample of various Polynesian cultures to a beautiful waterfall backdrop.


The menu offered many of the traditional or standards you might see served at any touristy Luau or Polynesian revue.  It sort of brings to mind the menu at L&L Barbecue.  To view a better close up the their menu, please check out this link to Yesterland.com here. Those prices rock! Notice the Monte Cristo is available for $1.50!


Sadly in 1993 the Tahitian Terrace was removed and the Aladdin's Oasis show replaced it.  They offered dinner and a performance from Aladdin.  Today this area is used as extra space, and on occasion they have character greetings from Aladdin, Jasmine, and the Genie.  One of my favorite things about this area as it's a great shaded area to eat lunch as it's become a forgotten spot in the last few years.  I love the area music here; it's an Arabian take on some standard pop and oldie hits!  I wish Disneyland would bring back the Tahitian Terrace.  With the growing popularity of the Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki bar this would be surely be a missed opportunity if they don't in fact revive the restaurant to its original attraction.


 A few month's back there was an amazing auction presented by Van Eaton Galleries which featured Disneyana or early Disneyland park merchandise. Despite not having the funds to purchase anything in this auction I was quick to purchase the catalog (for $30) as I knew this would be a great source in the future to price point any vintage Disneyland items I currently own and items I may come across in my thrifting and antiquing adventures. The catalog is still available for purchase here.


There were so many fantastic items from Adventureland available and many amazing items from the Enchanted Tiki Room and Tahitian Terrace.  Below is a dress worn by a hostess at the Tahitian Terrace which sold for $3,500.

Last week I was looking up barkcloth dresses on eBay and stumbled onto a listing for a dress that was made with the same material as the Tahitian Terrace hostess dress as shown above.  I couldn't believe my luck!  It was priced under $50 and was advertised as my size.  I made the purchase and anxiously awaited its arrival.


Sadly the sleeves are too tight for my arms.  I am going to wait it out a year and see if my recently added diet and exercise plan will make a difference.  If after a year it still doesn't fit my arms, then I will likely pay someone to help me restructure the dress so that it will fit me properly.  I was hoping to wear this to Tiki Oasis this year.  We shall see.  I still have over two months to work on it.  This gives me even more of a reason to hit the gym everyday!

Till' Next Time,

Suz


4 comments:

  1. I've always said that they should bring back the Tahitian Terrace!!! The mainstream popularity of tiki culture might ebb and flow but there should always be a place for it at Disneyland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw online that there is one in Tokyo Disney! Yet another reason why a trip to Japan is on my bucket list!

      Delete
  2. I remember my mom taking my sis and I when we were little girls to the Tahitian Terrace. It was really a great experience and I too wish they would bring it back. Your dress looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still need to either try to lose some arm flab or hire someone to help me reshape the dress to fit. It truly was a great find! I may wear it to Tiki Oasis this year.

      Delete