Monday, October 29, 2012

Girly and House Thrift Finds

Hello!!  I'm back from my nine day cross Cali road trip. We had a fantastic time and awesome visit with many friends and family.  I'll be posting separate blogs about those visits and our thrift adventures along the way soon.  Below is a backlog of some of my finds earlier this month that I wanted to be sure to share.

I found this purse a while back when Dave and I ventured up to the Northern San Diego thrift shops.  I found this Mexican tourist purse which is similar to the one I have found in the past.  It's smaller in size and in much better condition.

This was a crazy find for two reason.  The first is I found two of these styled purses on the same day at two separate thrift stores.  I left the second one I found at the store as Dave pointed out.....I don't need two of them.  I tried to fight my case by pointing out slight differences but once he reminded me of my spacial and storage issues, I was coaxed to leave it at the store for someone else to find. 

Below is the second crazy reason for the find.  I went to change out my purse  and was filling this one up when I came across the below ad which I found on the inseam of the purse.  I have no clue how old this purse is but it's definitely from way before my time as it's pretty impossible to purchase a house (even and "older" one, which I would prefer actually) for $3500!!!  Just some incite and history of the previous owner.  I love coming across these details.


I have yet another choice for a black patent leather purse.  My clutch choices are ever growing.



My grandmother passed this onto me.  She said it was either my great grandmother's or my great Aunt Lucille's.  She described it as a jewelry box (which is what I will likely use it as) but with further investigation online I found that this is actually a music powder box.  These were popular pieces to own between the 1920's and 1940's.  The swan detailing on the top is so much prettier in person.  I love that it's a family piece and it will remain so.






How could I possibly pass on this blue eyed darling kitty? 


This has been my best find to date.  I bought this for $3 at a Salvation Army here in town.  First I thought maybe it could be Bakelite and before testing I researched it online to find that may be celluloid.  They go for much more than  $3 and I have only be able to come across a few that resemble the style.  The ones I found online where from the 1930's.  I did the simichrome test and it tested positive so I'm not sure if this is Bakelite or Celluloid.  Anyone have any incite they could share with me?


Thought this was a cute addition to my kitchen.  I plan on stashing candy in this as I don't usually have sugar in my house other than for baking (which I rarely do from scratch to begin with).


These two beauties were a terrific find.  They match the same style of my previous Mexican tourist bags so I can only deduce that they were made in Mexico as well. 


This was not a thrift find but rather a very cheap EBay purchase.  I have been wanting a two tiered fiberglass whip styled lamp for a while and thought this was a the perfect match for my room.  The blue one below was a recent find as well.  I hope to find a similar shade (fiberglass whip) to add to that one as well.



Hope you all had a fun and safe Halloween weekend out.  Dave and I did not get to partake in any dressing up as we were driving home from our vacation.  I will be dressing up for work so I may share those pictures later in the week with one of my vacation blogs. 

Till' Next Time,

Suz

No comments:

Post a Comment